We teach our children to read like a writer and write like a reader but really, what we want is for them to have a passion for both.
An important part of developing passion is by reading books, and lots of them!
Here you will find 100 recommended reads for children in every class. Of course, the list is endless but these should keep the children busy.
“What we have loved, others will love and we will teach them how.” Wordsworth.
Passing on a love of reading and writing is at the heart of what we do at Kerem and goes hand in hand with the high standard of literacy that we attain.
Pupils at Kerem will leave Year 6:
- reading and writing with confidence, fluency and understanding, using a range of independent strategies to self-monitor and correct;
- with a love of reading and a desire to read for enjoyment;
- with an interest in words and their meanings; developing a growing vocabulary in spoken and written forms;
- understanding a range of text types, media types and genres;
- with an ability to analyse literature for deeper understanding and enjoyment;
- able to write in a variety of styles and forms appropriate to situation;
- developing their own unique voice in writing;
- with the confidence to perform, debate and engage in discussion and critical conversation;
- using their developing imagination, inventiveness and critical awareness.